Priority 5: Diversity
Millburn District #24 • Fall 2015 Planning through Fall 2017 UpdatePriority 2: Diversity
Benchmarks for Diversity:
1) What did we want to accomplish? (Old Goal)
- Create a better mirror of the community makeup with our staffing.
- Students will have role models that represent diverse ethnicities, cultures, experiences, and disability.
- Increase staff and student diversity, literacy, and awareness.
2) How did we start?
- Searched for job fair opportunities that would increase the ethnic diversity of the candidate pool.
- Investigated programs for increasing diversity in other school districts.
- Investigated programs that would increase cultural awareness in staff and students.
3) What did we do?
- Advertised staff openings in a larger geographic area.
- Attended a job fair that claimed to represent ethnically diverse communities.
- Provided additional diversity training for staff and students.
- Invested in training a staff member to be a qualified administrator for the Intercultural Developmental Inventory
4) What have we learned?
- Not all job fairs are productive in producing quality candidates.
- There is an overall teacher shortage looming in IL, and a severe shortage of candidates of ethnic diversity.
- Competition for candidates of a diverse background is stiff.
- Our staff and students may benefit from increased intercultural experiences.
5) How will we know if our efforts were successful?
- The IDI will show an increase in cultural competence amongst staff members.
- The pool of applicants will reflect a greater diversity.
- The staff will reflect a greater diversity.