COVID-19 GUIDELINES FOR
MILLBURN SCHOOL DISTRICT 24
CURRENT COVID SYMPTOMS
*Fever 100.4 or above
*Muscle/body aches and/or chills
*New loss of taste or smell
*Fatigue from unknown cause
*Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
*New onset moderate to severe headache/unknown cause
Students sent home from school with COVID -19 like symptoms:
- May be tested at school with a BinaxNOW rapid test before going home with parental consent.
- If prior consent is not already on file at school, a link to the form can be emailed electronically by the Health Office to you.
- May return to school once they have been symptom-free and feeling better for 24 hours* (unmedicated) prior to returning to school. (*48 hours for vomiting & diarrhea)
Please note: Even though your child has tested negative for COVID, it does not mean that they may not have Strep Throat, Influenza A or B, or other viral/bacterial infections etc. Please be aware of your child’s symptoms and duration, and know that this test is not a replacement for treatment by a medical provider if needed.
Students not feeling well and staying home from school with COVID -19 like symptoms may return to school IF:
- They have been symptom-free and feeling better for 24 hours* (unmedicated) prior to returning to school (*48 hours for vomiting & diarrhea).
- A COVID test had been done while out sick by an outside testing site, with the Negative results emailed to the Health Office or brought in to school PRIOR TO coming back OR
- A COVID test can be done in the school Health Office the morning of coming back AND IF you choose to have your student tested at school, parents must accompany the student directly to the Health Office first AND wait with the student for 15 minutes for the result. If Negative, the student is free to return to class.
- Student MAY NOT take the bus or walk to school the morning of returning to school.
Benefits of doing BinaxNOW testing at school:
- The convenience of testing at school.
- No cost to parents.
- Decrease in time student is out of school waiting for appointments or getting results.
- Decrease in loss of worktime for parents.
- Decrease in zooming time vs in-person instruction.
IMPORTANT: If your child was EXPOSED (less than 3 feet, masked for more than 15 minutes cumulative in one day, ie. on the bus) to a COVID-19 positive student and has been sent home from school, they will need to remain at home for 10 days even if they have received and provided the health office with a negative COVID test result. (This does not apply to students who are signed up for TTS, the “Test to Stay” program)
Siblings of the sick student will no longer be sent home OR have to stay home if the sick child was called in UNLESS the siblings are also exhibiting symptoms. HOWEVER, when in doubt, TESTING is encouraged and recommended.
Millburn Elementary School Health Office - MES Parents: You may receive a call from the Health Office cellular phone, please take note of the number 224-306-8740 (Caller ID will read Northbrook, IL).
Kvanko@millburn24.net Phone - 847-245-2781 Fax - 847-356-9722
Lschaefer@millburn24.net Phone - 224-306-8740 (Caller ID will read Northbrook, IL)
Millburn Middle School Health Office
Kgreen@millburn24.net Phone - 847-245-1611 Fax - 847-265-8198
**ANY TEST DONE AT HOME WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED TO RETURN TO SCHOOL**
**Important Notice: Your student may return to school once he/she has been symptom-free and feeling better for 24 hours unmedicated (*must be out 48 hours for vomiting & diarrhea) and must have a negative COVID-19 test to return to school. We offer rapid testing in the Health Office at MES & MMS. If you choose to have your student tested at school, he/she MAY NOT take the bus or walk to school the morning of returning to school. A parent must accompany the student directly to the Health Office AND wait with the student for 15 minutes for the result. If negative, the student is free to return to class. Please complete the following consent form prior to your arrival.