Priority 1: Foreign Language
Millburn District #24 • Fall 2015 PlanningPriority 1: Foreign Language
Current Progress - Foreign language:
1) What did we want to accomplish? (Original Goal)
- Sustainable foreign language program for K-8
2) How did we start?
- Identified resources (staff, funding, space, etc.)
- Researched best practices in delivering foreign language
- Consulted with local HSs regarding foreign language
3) What did we do?
- Determined that Spanish was the priority language to teach as a foreign language
- Determined that teaching Spanish at the middle school level was a priority
- Modified the schedule to allow for Spanish to be taught for 1 quarter at the 7th grade level for all students
- Modified the schedule for student in 8th grade to choose a full year of HS Spanish 1
4) What did we learn?
- It is difficult to prepare student for three separate HS Spanish programs. Each Program has a unique approach to learning Spanish. Students enrolling at Warren need to complete a bridge program to get into Honors Spanish II as freshmen.
- Students can complete HS Spanish in one year with significant effort.
- Students are about 1 month ahead of HS Spanish 1 after getting a quarter of Spanish in 7th grade compared to the first year. (17/18)
- Students struggle in Spanish if they struggle in ELA.
5) How can we monitor the program's success?
- Enrollment in the 8th grade program - The program has been maxed out in the first two years. (16/17, 17/18)
- Enrollment in Spanish 2 at the HS level.
- Passing grades in Spanish 2 at the HS level.